Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jillp

Technical User
Jun 7, 2001
US
I am considering a training session with CrystalUser.com. Has anyone used them in the past? Are their sessions worth while? Mainly are they reputable?

Thanks,

JillP

I went to them years ago, and yes they cover the basics and it was an okay class. However, if memory serves me right, they used a lot of the wizards and easy shortcuts in the class which isnt alwyas the best way to learn (kind of like learning math on a calculator before you know your multiplication facts, no?)

If you are looking for quality - go with Ken Hamady. He is top notch - and an excellent resource as you move forward with Crystal.

LMC

LMC cryerlisa@hotmail.com

select * from Management where proj_mgmt_skills <> NULL

0 records returned

where are you located? i train in crysal using goldmine as the data source.
there is also Hammerman Associates, they are great. Lila Brown is another good person.

While I havent used Hammerman myself, I've worked with several people that did get their training with Hammerman, and they liked the fact that Hammerman came to their site and worked with their data (customized what they needed to learn).

While that is advantageous in some situations - if you are looking to really learn Crystal - in and out, its better to go with a formal class NOT inside of your own environment, because then you are pushed to learn all of the little (and not so little) things that you would not necessarily need to know right this minute, but will serve you well as you move forward with Crystal.

LMC cryerlisa@hotmail.com

select * from Management where proj_mgmt_skills <> NULL

0 records returned

I think it comes down to what you are looking to get out of the training.

If you are looking for good training and need to keep the cost down, then I think you should focus on a trainer like Ken Hamady or Howard Hammerman. They are less expensive then the offical BO curriculum and I know they will both customize the training using your data. I am sure to get the customized training, you probably have to book a private class with your company.

If you are looking at pursuing either of the certifications out there and cost isn't really an issue, you may want to look into the BO curriculum as it preps you for the certs.

~Brian

I learned Cystal from a traing program on a PC. (CBT Training and £100 at the time.) It's a good system if you have lots of people who need to learn the language, and it doesn't have to be all at once.

Madawc Williams
East Anglia, Great Britain

Thanks to all of you for the input. I thought maybe the subject was taboo!

I've been using crystal for years but was interested in a couple of their specialty classes. I am in Maine so we don't have lots of options here, a 4 hour drive to Boston is the best I can find. $900 is pushing it for us I'm not sure the company would pay to have someone travel here.

Thanks again for the input.

Jill

When there is only one student it is hard to justify an on-site course. Usually that takes 3-4 people to make it cost effective. Of course the advantage is getting to work with your own data. This allows you to uncover the idiosyncracies that you will have to deal with. Often after a public class people get back to their desk and have trouble getting started.

Another option you might consider is individual training by phone. That is good for people not close to a major metro area. It also allows you to focus on topics you need most.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Tips and Tricks / Guide to Crystal in VB
- TEK2(AT)kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back