Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Training room management advice required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stroppy

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2002
AU
Hello again. I need to rephrase my question.

We have a training room, which has 6 pcs. This is used for public training and for staff training. We are part of a network, (Govt organistation; public users at 3 sites; mail server etc etc) The public workstations are about to have Deep Freeze installed. Not my call

So far, the training room is always supervised as trainers take classes in there, so we are not too concerned about hacking & mistakes etc. However, we will start running a computer club in a few months time, it will hopefully be self sufficient after a while. They will probably want to be able to save things for a while, install things and then remove them at some stage. They will need access to everything as if they were at home...we are talking "Seniors".

But, we forsee folders being renamed, programs disappearing etc. Hence I thought disk partitioning, if they trash it, all is still ok. I also thought perhaps a user profile with a more suitable display (larger icons, slower mouse, single click etc)

Our IT is outsourced to a company that don't have an understanding of users, especially public users and less so, Seniors. I appreciate the ghosting idea, it may be our best option. However, if anyone has any other ideas I am interested in hearing about them. We are using 2K at the moment.

M

I'd think a separate partition would be a good idea. To give them full access an administrator account is what they'd need and with that they could get to places they shouldn't. With two partitions they can do whatever to theirs but with security settings keep them from accessing the other. When the training is over the partition can be formatted and reinstalled for the next group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back