Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Traffic Studies on Option 11C

Status
Not open for further replies.

jneiberger

Technical User
Jan 21, 2005
US
We have several Option 11C PBXs with point-to-point T1 tie lines between our branches. I'd like to run some traffic studies on a handful of sites to get a better feel for our actual trunk usage. Is there a way to do this from the PBX other than sitting at a console all day and periodically typing in the commands to show current trunk usage?

Thanks,
John (who is most decidedly not a PBX guy or he'd already know the answer to this <g>)

Is that going to use up much resources on the PBX itself? Our PBX person here knew a little bit about this and she's worried about filling up buffers and causing other problems on the system.

Thanks!
John

If she's worried about resources, you have bigger problems.

The resources used is small and you can have it dump to a procomm file every hour for a few days and you will have enough info to make a discision.

I think we just had a bad experience in the distant past with call detail recording and the amount of data it produced. This should be quite a bit less data but I think that's the reason for her initial concern.

Thanks!
John

Again if CDR caused a problem with resources, then you have bigger problems then if your over trunked. If you connect a PC to the Port to capture the info, there should never be a problem.

I think she's more worried about doing it when there is no PC connected to the PBX to capture the data. Still, it sounds like it wouldn't be a problem to turn on traffic monitoring for a couple of days. That shouldn't create enough locally-stored data to cause a problem, should it? We only need to monitor a single T1, and it's almost guaranteed not to be very busy.

i don't have a problem with a traffic study but at times it's faster to look at just the cards you want data on. to monitor a single t, change the stat ^M to stat 1^M or any t you want to see.. a traffic study was built for that and i keep one running, if you are used to ld 2, that is a great way to do the job

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

if it was on my network i would disl the loop...

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

if there is or isn't a PC connected it still collects the same data. it collects it for the hour you want and if you don't out put it, it gets overwriten the next hour.

acewarlock,
Do I understand this correctly that the traffic reports have to be downloaded every hour. Is it possible to collect a 8 hour report and download that once a day.
Thanks, norm

Only if you have some kind of collection device. The system overwrites the old data every hour.

It is possible to have a "Traffic History" set up in LD17 ADAN. Here is what mine looks like:

REQ PRT
TYPE CFN

ADAN HIST
SIZE 64000
USER MTC BUG CSC
ADAN TRF <<----------------------------
SIZE 64000
ADAN TTY 0
CTYP QSDI
GRP 0
DNUM 0
DES SYS_MONITOR
FLOW NO
USER MTC
XSM YES
TTYLOG 0
BANR YES

--------------------------------------------------

Two reasons you would need to analyze traffic:

If the total minutes of usage multiplied by the per minute, fully loaded cost of just dialing over the public network greater or less than the cost of you having that T1.

- In this case, traffic is easy - you can just set the schedule like this:

.SSHC 0 1 1 31 12
0 0 1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

.COPC 0 1 3 4 5 6
.SOPC 0 2

Now, each day you come in you will have one report for the whole 24 hour day. If you can get that TRF History working, you could store a few weeks of data. Just go to LD 2 and

LD 2
.INVC 0 2

~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back