Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Traffic Passing Through VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby449

Technical User
Jun 15, 2003
GB
Hi guys

We have a dial-up VPN (v 4x) terminating at a PIX 515 and that seems to work perfectly well. We can ping, access machine shares and everything else.

The only problem we have is using an application called Digital Dictation which uses DCOM. This application has a server in the office and machines connect to it. It works fine when on the network, but not through the VPN

My question is when the VPN is established should this pass all traffic backwards and forwards through the tunnel or are there still some restrictions?

Also does anyone know of any issues using DCOM applications through the Cisco VPN.

Many thanks
KG1

without knowing the configuration, we can't 100% there is no restriction on the VPN traffic... however, most VPN setups do allow ALL traffic through the VPN without restriction.

This may have something to do with the firewall in the Cisco VPN Client, if you use that.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Hi Kirby499

We are having the same problem with digital dictation? Which package are you using? We are using Total Speech by Big Hand. Have you managed to resolve the issue?

Thanks

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Yes, our client's site also uses the Total Speech version. We have not yet resolved the issue and are still looking into it. I can't really offer any advice for you at this stage, but I have logged a call with Cisco and they are wanting to run packet sniffs on both sides and a few other diagnostics. I am going on holiday next week for 3 weeks so will not be able to do anything further until I get back.

The software vendor doesn't seem to have any ideas other than they think it is a DCOM issue.

If I find anything further out I will post the info up here.

Cheers
KG1

We have found a solution to this.

On the client, click Start/RUN and type DCOMCNFG.EXE
Next expand Component Services/Computers. Right Click My Computer go Properties. Click Default Properties Tab and tick use DCOM on this Computer. Next click COM Security Tab and Edit Limits under Access Permissions. Ensure Anonymous is ticked for Local and Remote. OK your way out and reboot.

Try the application.

It works for us.

Good luck
KG1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back