Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Traffic over Wifi Bridge Dies after a few minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

deks

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2007
US
Hi,

I have a 802.11b/g bridge setup between two buildings with LOS and they're a good 500ft apart.

On the main site the antenna is connected to a switch which is connected to a server which is connected to a cable modem in dumb mode. The server is doing all the DHCP, NAT and Firewall functions.

On the remote site the antenna is connected to a switch that all the machines are connected to.

In essence, the wifi bridge is basically emulating a cable as much as it can to connect the remote site to the main site's LAN.

So here's the issue: At the remote site I can get pretty good download and upload speeds, however they seem to lose connection after a few minutes. I can resume the downloads and uploads only to have the connection die out again. Ping times between the antennas check out, with no packet loss. There is no QoS going on either.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

I have a similar setup in one location and was having the same issue. The person who installed the AP's didn't ground them and they are PoE and need a straight cable to the power supply. Otherwise see if you have a keep alive setting in the AP's, by the way what make are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back