Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Traffic on a trunk group

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosstalker

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
US
Can someone tell me the command to use in order to determine how much traffic is going across a certain trunk group? I thought you could do "status trunk-group 13" for example, but it wasn't what I really needed.

list measurements trunk-group summary - then do a help and see what fits your criteria best.

I setup an ASA server (basically a PC running ASA) and had reports scheduled to run hourly & Daily.

One of the scheduled reports was the trunk analyzer. It is a GUI and it spells out how many trunks are used, how many can be turned off or need to be added, etc.

ASA works really well, but i could never understand the erlang thing, can someone explain in laymens terms?

From
An Erlang is a unit of telecommunications traffic measurement. Strictly speaking, an Erlang represents the continuous use of one voice path. In practice, it is used to describe the total traffic volume of one hour.
For example, if a group of user made 30 calls in one hour, and each call had an average call duration of 5 minutes, then the number of Erlangs this represents is worked out as follows:

Minutes of traffic in the hour = number of calls x duration
Minutes of traffic in the hour = 30 x 5
Minutes of traffic in the hour = 150
Hours of traffic in the hour = 150 / 60
Hours of traffic in the hour = 2.5
Traffic figure = 2.5 Erlangs

Erlang traffic measurements are made in order to help telecommunications network designers understand traffic patterns within their voice networks. This is essential if they are to successfully design their network topology and establish the necessary trunk group sizes.

Erlang traffic measurements or estimates can be used to work out how many lines are required between a telephone system and a central office (PSTN exchange lines), or between multiple network locations.

And a small bit of triva for your day:
Agner Krarup Erlang was born in 1878 in Lønborg, Denmark. He was a pioneer in the study of telecommunications traffic and, through his studies, proposed a formula to calculate the fraction of callers served by a village exchange who would have to wait when attempting to place a call to someone outside the village.

In 1909, he published his first work: The Theory of Probabilities and Telephone Conversations. He gained worldwide recognition for his work, and his formula was accepted for use by the General Post Office in the UK.

Erlang never married. He worked for the Copenhagen Telephone Company for twenty years, until his death in 1929. During the 1940s, the Erlang became the accepted unit of telecommunication traffic measurement, and his formula is still used today in the design of modern telecommunications networks.

Susan
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back