Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Traffic generator for testing FR WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

lve

Technical User
Jun 20, 2003
US
Can anyone recommend a traffic generator for testing the quality of a FR WAN? I've found many monitoring tools but no generators. I'd like to stress our WAN to see if 0 CIR is acceptable for VoIP traffic.

You may want to check out SolarWinds' tools. Not only do they offer an excellent suite of tools, one that I found usefull was WANKiller. :) If you have a remote device capable of echo's, then you can kill it bi-directional.

I believe you will find that 0 CIR will work well enough...until you get heavy traffic on the line. Unless you have traffic shapers in place, I can't see how it would do very well...even with a higher CIR.

What means 0 Cir??? Sorry, I am new using Frame Relay.

cheers,

It means Committed Information Rate. It is the maximum throughput that you can you are guarenteed from the carrier, on the line, before packets start getting marked discard eligible. When they are marked as such, if the Frame network encounters congestion anywhere between point A and point B, it will start dropping packets...ones marked discard eligible first.

jinxx, FYI. i used to manage third party connectivity for compaq, and i got to see a TON of frame from a TON of different vendors. your experience with sprint really is quite different from literally %100 of the sites i saw with it. cpq's latency - cross country - from our vendors would be, say, 35ms, and third party sprint latency would be (no shit) say, 200ms. and that was between 2 adjacent states!!! caused NO END of issues, with latency sensitive apps :( glad to hear you don't have this issue, though :)

Was that with Sprint iFR? We have the iFR service and I have nothing but rave reviews from it. All of my ping times are anywhere around 30-65ms...solid. Nothing higher unless the link is busy...as to be expected.

I have not heard good things about their regular Frame though.

No, heck, we are doing full QoS across it, utilizing their emmission queues, and VoIP and video is flawless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back