Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Traffic control

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcg

Programmer
Jul 15, 2002
MX
Hi

Does anybody know if I can control the traffic in a LAN with a 2511?

I have a mail server in my LAN and I want to limit the bandwidth it uses.

thanks

i don't think rate-limiting is supported on teh 2500 series chassis.. i know it work on the 2600 and 3600, and probably even higher series routers... but i doubt the feature is available on low-end routers.. u may have to either upgrade your stock or install a bandwidth manager..

good luck..

Rate-limitting is supported in all routers as long as you have version (want to say 11.3) but suggest 12.0 or higher.

Yes, you can rate-limit off of the MAC address of a machine, which is useful in DHCP envirmonemnts. Or you can rate-limit by Ip address(s), or just rate-limit an entire interface. I've used it on my 2514 at home with IOS version 12.2.1.

Burke

Ok

On the other hand, I've been told that you can do it with only one interface.

I mean that if I have a mail server ( for example ) in my LAN, I can limit the bandwidth it uses with an access list, and no need to have two ethernet interfaces.

Is this correct?

ok, since this was brought up, on the cisco 2600, how do you limit a IP's up/down bandwidth. I can't seem to find any reference to it on a access-list. What I have found is completely outside of what I am used to. If there is some basic commands for serial/ethernet what are they, and if its just a matter of lines in a access list, what is a example. I just need something to start with. Helps the R&D/learning curve time line. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back