Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trade publication called " The Mart " 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

52nooknick

Technical User
Apr 7, 2007
US
Been through a few other forums but no luck...There is a trade publication out there called " The Mart " which is for resellers etc.

Can't find it anywhere...Anyone know about it ???
Rich

they still around ?

used to be a freebie then somehow I dropped off the list I called and they they wanted $60 for a subscription [dazed]

they where a must have 15 years ago but with the internet and eBay who needs em ?

waste of paper

Found this on the Sandman's page

If you're a telecommunications professional, call Tammy Reilly at The•Mart Magazine to get your free copy of the print version mailed to you. 800-864-1155.

Telecom Gear, The Mart go out of print
by Doug Green, TR Publisher

Telecom Gear, once the largest magazine for advertising used equipment, has been discontinued. The Mart, which for a while eclipsed the Gear, has also gone out of print. The Mart's parent company has been dissolved in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Founded in 1985 as a derivative of Teleconnect Magazine, Telecom Gear was credited by many for creating a national secondary market. In the pre-Internet age, it sewed together dealers, resellers and repair companies into what emerged as an international secondary market for telecom equipment. The publication was originally conceived as a job's gazette, which would list work orders for on-site work. But after a California company called SPOC began running multiple full-page ads, other resellers quickly joined in, making the publication viable. In the early nineties a number of Gear employees went to work for Mike Story and formed The Mart, whose format was very similar to the The Gear, which passed ownership a number of times, finally ending up as a part of Dominion Enterprises.

Dominion made no public announcement of the closure. The Mart's owner, Story Publications, declared bankruptcy in 2006, but continued to publish it into early 2007. No public announcement was made in The Mart's closure, but people familiar with the matter said that the company simply ran out of funds. The company then filed Chapter 7, which is designed to dissolve the company.

The decline occurred rapidly. As of December 2006 the two publications together had over 300 pages of retail advertising, which was slightly above 2005 levels.

© 2007 Telecom Reseller. All Rights Reserved.

I miss teleconnect it was a good trade , I never realized the mart was a spin off

sad, bought a lot of stuff from there over the years, I guess it's on to EBay (yuck)

When MCI vacated their space next to our office, the mailman started leaving their copies of "Telecom Gear" in front of our door.

Since then, I've been checking out the magazine online.

I'm going to miss it. [cry]

I built my business using contacts for all systems from that publication. I haven't used it in years, but it sure helped us out in the past.

We all need a little help once in awhile. Tony the Phoneman..

I am sitting here looking at the last print copy of Telecom Gear and I really wanted to see Mike Sandman's article in the January Mart that didn't publish.

That being said, is there an online version of the Gear then?

It's a PITA to have to keep referring to my dog-eared back issues and I like to see who has what on sale.

LkEErie

As a coincidence, I got my new Telecom Finders magazine today. They appear to be taking up the slack for the failed publications. It's gonna take a long time before they get to hundreds of pages from the current 40, but ya never know.

is the web site.

LkEErie

On line websites are ok...But having a printed publication in the Van with you has a lot going for it...
I hope they go printed...It seems to me that there was a ton of money spent on advertising at both THE MART and Telecom Gear...
Makes you wonder..
Rich

Just received my new November issue of Telecom Gear. It's been revived under new ownership.

I hope the new owners continue to make pages available for viewing online! [bigsmile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back