Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tracking users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamarama

Programmer
Dec 29, 2006
US
What have you guys found, to be the easiest way to track when users do things like vote on something or rate something?

As I said before, I have a large Joke site, and users can rate the jokes, but I only want them to rate a joke one time. Right now, since the site is young, I only have about 400 or so jokes, but the plan is to have 20k + What would be the easiest way to do this?

I think the way I am going to do it until I find a better solution, is make a table that tracks the IP and the joke id, and do a lookup to see that ip shows up with the joke id in that table, and not show the rating system if it does.

That sound sensible?

That works, normally you would show the rating that the user gave that joke, so if you include the rating in your tracking you then get other metrics. Like X users gave this a 5, vs Y users gave it a 4.

Note tracking by IP gets weird when users repair their network connection and obtain a new IP. In addition, some users are working behing a firewall which only uses a single IP, for all the traffic.

Lodlaiden

If [blue]you have problems[/blue], I want [green]source code[/green] AND [green]error messages[/green], none of this [red]"there was an error crap"[/red]

I know about changing IP's an that part. Have to give up something I guess.

I like the idea of tracking the ratings they gave there as well.

thanks for the idea on that

Store the user id, joke id and score they gave in a table, then to get the total score use
Code:
SUM(column) WHERE JokeID = id;
to get the total score

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

yea, that was a good idea. Can get a lot of stats with the ratings and things of that nature the way I have it set up now.

You guys rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back