Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tracking users movements

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudleys

Technical User
Apr 28, 2005
AU
Hi,

I want to be able to track the movements of users on my site.
I of course would not do with heavy traffic.

I thought of using the Cache object and filling it with an object that has the username,time,web page executed.

Is this a wise thing to do.??
Could I create the object in the Cache on every request ny the user and if so which event would you recommend.

Thanks

Should have said I want to track them while they are online.

You could just use a session level collection and a class to add your details (e.g. with username, time and web page). You can then simply add each class to the session collection each time a page loads.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help finding an answer?

Try the search facility ( or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

NOt sure I know what you mean because a Session variable is only accessiable that user session.

I want to logon as admin user and load a page that will fill a table with users logged on and the other details.

Can you explain your method?

There are quite a few ways of doing it. I can't fid the exact article that I'm thinking of at the moment, but it was something like the following examples which simply use session and application variables to hold a count of logged in users:

These could be easily adapted to store a collection of classes (like I described above).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help finding an answer?

Try the search facility ( or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back