Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tracking Stolen Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahhbuzz

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2004
I just posted this on the PC tAblet section and it dis appeared does anyone know why?

I just wanted to know if I can track my stolen laptop via its MAC address. Can Toshiba track the MAC address/serial number to its IP thus its user.

Might possibly do that but I figure it would be more up to criminal investigation department to do that. Considering how many computers and parts they put out i doubt they know the mac address. So my guess if you dont know it unless you get lucky might not have much chance of getting it back. If you know it tell the investigators.

Pretty much impossible. If they are behind a firewall, all the ISP will see is that of the router. Unless they have access to the router, they won't be able to look up that MAC. And the chances of getting an ISP to go into a every router and look up the address table is somewhere around the zero mark.

And it was proberbly removed as it's a laptop, not a tablet pc.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Whatever happends to Intels security idea of putting serial numbers on processors so they could be tracked?

:)

One thing u can do is atleast let the manufacture know they are missing, incase somebody is dumb enough to put a service requests in on them

Not that it does you any good right now, but for future reference, and for any IT people out there looking for a way to monitor and track your PCs - Computrace, by Absloute software is a great way to do it. Link here: I have used it and it helped me recover 7 stolen Toughbooks, and three Dell laptops, while I was working for Enron Wind, then GE Wind Energy. 6 of these computers had been wiped and re-installed, as well! A low-level application, it is installed on sector 0 of the drive, so even if somebody were to format the drive or delete the partition, the software remains, and continues sending out it's beacon... Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back