Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tracking how long ago something happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulfericacid

Programmer
Aug 15, 2001
US
Ok everyone, I don't care how much help you give me on this one. If you have a premade script already, kudos for everyone!

I have a time saved in a hash which I want to compare with whatever the time; is now. time; is only done by seconds so I need a way for this script:

foreach (keys %db) {
my ($count, $ip, $oldtime) = split(/::/, $db{$_});

my $time=time;
my $elapsed = $time - $oldtime;

print $elapsed;
}

I have it count seconds which is great but not very useful. How can I get it to count upwards so it acts like this:

Display seconds unless elasped > 60
Display minutes unless elapsed > (60*60)
Display hours unless elapsed > (whatever 24hrs would be)
Display days until one week
Display week until month
Display number of months until year
Display year(s)

Basically I want it to get pushed up to the next interval of time then ignore the previous times. Like if it was 1 min and 20 seconds ago I want it to display 1 min, NOT 1 min 20 seconds. Or if it were 1 day, 23 hours, 22 minutes, 11 seconds, only display 1 day.

Can anyone spare a few minutes?

"Age is nothing more than an inaccurate number bestowed upon each of us at birth as just another means for others to judge and classify us- sulfericacid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back