Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tracking Application Uptime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam050507

Programmer
Sep 13, 2005
US
I'm starting to get into Yahoo Widgets, and I thought a good widget would be one that tracks how much time I spent on each application during one session.

Does anybody know how to find out which application is active when a number of apps (browser, word processor, email, SDK, etc.) are open?

Thanks

This is not something that you should use javascript for. To dig into windows settings like you are describing would reqire the use of ActiveX objects which in turn means IE only. Additionally, when used they pop up that annoying security hazard that scares most people off.

If this is going to be a local application then these 2 issues may not be a problem for you. However, it's exactly those 2 issues that make most developers (myself included) not take the time to learn how they work. So, although it may be possible I'd guess that help and documentation (except perhaps on a MSDN site) will probably be limited.

Any reason why you wouldn't use VB or C++ or Java instead?

-kaht

Looking for a puppy?

[small]Silky Terriers are small, relatively odorless dogs that shed no fur and make great indoor pets.[/small]

Thanks kaht -

I wanted to make a Yahoo Widget, and it was my understanding that its engine only worked with Javascript.

I'm pretty sure this is out of my league, but just wanted to ask.

I thought that if I could at least figure out where the "address" of the active window data was being stored, I might have a chance.

Adios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back