Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tracking Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissan240zx

Programmer
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hello All,
Maybe this question is posted in the wrong forum. If thats the case then please let me the best place to get some good reponse.
Or if anyone in this group can lead me towards good advice...perfect.

I am trying to get information on tracking, monitoring customer behaviour on a website.

Code:
The scenario - I have a website that has rotating ads (each ad with unique value/code # assoc. with it).
Now from a central console I want to monitor/track, which ad is getting more hits.

Any advice..please let me know.

Thanks in advance...

A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

Er, set up a page (central console) that shows how many clicks each ad has had?

If each ad has it's own tracking code then you simply feed that code to a script that will count 1 click every time it gets a hit then forward the user to the corresponding URL.

The script would reside at a particular URL and it would read a parameter passed to it in the querystring that called it.

e.g.

Code:
clickCounter.php?trackingId=123456789

The script should be hooked up to a database of some sort that lists, for example, each banner with it's unique ID, the forwarding URL and the number of clicks it's recieved.

Your "central console" then is just a list of each ad, with the number of clicks next to it by pulling info from the database.

You will probably want to capture more data about each click too, such as the time it occured, the IP address of the user etc. Without this data you stand no chance of working out if someone is just repeatedly clicking an ad over and over.

In this case, create another database table that lists each "transaction", the click, the ad ID clicked on, the user IP etc.

<honk>*:O)</honk>
Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web site design in Cheltenham and Gloucester
Ham and Jam - British & Commonwealth forces mod for Half Life 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back