Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tracking Additions, Deletions, Modification by user log in

Status
Not open for further replies.

bddewell408

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
US
I read through the entire FAQ on tables and other, and I could not find anything like this, so I am sorry if this duplicates a previously written question

I have a database that is controlled through a log-on screen I created, everyone has a unique User ID and password. On verification of correct password, the log-on screen "hides" so that the person logged-on can still be referenced when creating a report via the =Forms![frmLogon]![cboUser] method.

This logon form is also attached to a table that records everytime a User logs in via a date time field that is automatic.

I guess that was not good enough, my employers would now like me to figure a way to track when and who makes new entries, modifications, deletions, and who even views records.

I realize that I will more than likely need to set up a record log table for each table in the database.

At this point I set up a test database for experimentation, and I have a child table set up with a default value of the date and time in one field, user ID in another field, the foreign key to the open record, and an autonumber primary key.....THE PROBLEM

I am not experienced enough to get this to add a record on open. I attempted to use a macro on the ON LOAD but I could not find the appropriate action to use. I do not know how to write code, and I am hoping this can be done without code.

I do not believe we need to waste time determining whether someone added, modified, or deleted a record, as long as there is a record that this person had this record open.

Obviously we cannot have a cascade update or delete on the relationship to track deletions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have a look here:
faq181-2399

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back