Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tracert outputs timeouts but internet is fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daglugub37

Technical User
Oct 21, 2003
US
Not sure if this is the right forum but here we go.

I am trying to learn about internet connections. Currenctly my dial-up through a modem is working, so I wanted to take this opportunity to run a tracert and record normal output while all is well.

I think i understand the syntax and theory behind this command but i am not getting usable output.

I am entering tracert yahoo.com(tried other sites as well). I keep getting:
* * * Request Timed Out
* * * Request Timed Out
* * * Request Timed Out
etc.

Again i have no problem hitting any sites. Any thoughts

Its normal to get time outs when using tracert. Of course, if that is ALL you get, then it is a problem. The time out requests are just routers/gateways not responding in the time requested by your system. You might even get a few in a row, perfectly normal.

I typed tracert from my laptop, had no problems.

If you are getting nothing but time out errors, try at a later time, your ISP might have a lot of traffic (or cannot handle a high volume of traffic). You might also contact your isp, they might have a firewall blocking certain communications.

Matt J.

hmm...very weird, I don't think what i am getting is normal. All i get is timeouts on all 30 hops if i let it go that long. also i think normal timeouts will at least give the ip of the router it is trying to hit. I get no output for any fields, no IPs, no TTL values...nothing but timeouts.

But again i can bring up yahoo.com and all other sites in my browser very quickly.

You may be onto something with firewall/ or ISP placing limitations on utilty information i can gather while still letting me browse web pages.

It is probably that the ISP is blocking ICMP request/replies, which is a common method that is used to keep people from mapping their network. Mapping a network is frequently performed by hackers to choose high value targets for exploitation.

Take a look at lft (layer four traceroute) and hping, both of which allow you to perform a traceroute using TCP rather than ICMP. hping allows UDP as well as some other very interesting options that allow you to test firewall rulesets.

If you are a windows user, then you will probably have to use lft. LFT's defaults are pretty effective for what you are trying to do.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back