Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tracert loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvis123456789

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2009
AL
when i have no connection with my remote point , the trace command show the loop between 2 IP .
Any idea?

Hello
You have given us little to go on please explain your network topology,show run,etc.

Regards

Sounds like a switching loop. Please post a sh cdp nei det from both ends.

Burt

When your WAN link is down, your redundant-pair routers will pass the packets back and forth between themselves because they can't find the next hop.

I just has something similar. Ended up having an interface administratively shutdown, but was still being advertised by my routing protocol. From the 2 devices that are showing up in the traceroute, do a "show ip interface brief | inc xx.xx.xx" replace the xx.xx.xx with the first three octets of the ip address. Hopefully in that list you will find where either the ip you are trying to trace route too, or a neighboring IP address is. Mine wasn't the exact ip address, but was either one before or after it in the same subnet.

As soon as I found it, and removed the ip address (interface had been shutdown for some time), my traceroute problem went away.

At one of your hops there is a routing loop, usually due to default routes. Check the 2 hops that are displayed in the loop and make sure you have your routing setup properly.

This is the big advantage of using a routing protocol and not static routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back