Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

traceroute: Warning: Multiple interfaces found;

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnothinghead

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2001
US
Hello,
When I run a tracerout I get this result.
traceroute: Warning: Multiple interfaces found;

The route I want to use skips the default route because of this error and goes out the wrong interface. Is there a way to correct this problem so that the route goes out the proper path?

Thanks a million
John

Hi John,

This problem will occur if you have two interfaces (outside/inside) and the inside interface is probed before the outside interface. Traceroute will always use the interface that is probed first at boot time as it's default interface. In your case it's using the inside interface which is probably connected to a private network. A quick fix for this problem would be to specify the interface to use when performing the traceroute e.g.

traceroute -i rtls0 192.168.1.2 (rtls0 being outside interface).

The real fix for this problem is to make sure that the outside interface or the interface you want traceroute to use as default, is probed first. Remove the interfaces using ifconfig [interface] unplumb, then reconfigure them making sure the interface you want to be primary is probed first.

Another way to accomplish this would be to edit the /etc/path_to_inst file making sure the "outside" interface is probed before the "inside" interface. However, I don't recommend this because I have never done this before, but I think its possible. Read man pages on path_to_inst before you do this.

I had this problem before, unfortunately I can't remember how I fixed it, but it's along the lines above. Good luck and post back your successes.

Stickybit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back