Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Traceroute uses incorrect interface to get out

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfej

MIS
Mar 13, 2001
US
I am running Solaris 2.6 (SunOS 5.6) on a box with two nic cards called hme0 and hme1. Hme0 is configured with 141.114.141.183 (with a 255.255.0.0 subnet mask) and hme1 has a private address of 10.5.2.2 with a 255.255.255.0 netmask.

The story is somewhat complicated regarding recent changes that have been made, so I will try to leave out some of the details and ask only the salient questions!

The default gateway is setup as a 141.114.x.x address (and my understanding is that I can only have one default gateway even though I am connected to two networks.)

The problem is this: I am unable to reach (ping) the private address space's default gateway of 10.5.2.1 and it is plugged into exactly the same switch as the solaris host. When I try to see what path it is taking by using a traceroute I get this message from the os: "traceroute: warning multiple interfaces found; using 141.114.141.183@hme0."

When I try "route add 10.5.2.0 10.5.2.2" I get an error that the network is unreachable!

So, it appears that when I ping 10.5.2.1, the os will not use the correct nic to get out on the proper network. Is there a way I can force the os to use the correct nic for this path and at the same time to get it to recognize that the 10.5.2.x network IS indeed reachable?

Please post the output of netstat -rn so we can see the routes. Note that you can use the -i switch on traceroute to specify which interface to use. No routes should be necessary to reach your gateway on that network... (as I think you realise).

Annihilannic.

You can manually add a route on the server as follows:

route add net 10 10.5.2.1 1

This will route the entire 10.x.x.x to the gateway address 10.5.2.1. You can also add a file in the /etc/rc2.d/ (for example) directory in a file (say S99static.routes). This will be read when the server is (re)booted.

Thank you for your help guys.

The situation is so bizzare right now that I think I will let it rest. In short, the problem began when on the public network side, we needed to connect to a node on another (an additional) 10.x.x.x address space. I have added a route to that particular node and it seems to be talking to both 10 networks, but only as long as the interface itself is configured with a 255.0.0.0 netmask.

So it is working and I think I will leave it all alone as long as it continues to do so. If things should change again that should cause my boxes to stop connecting, I will consider changing my private address space to something like a 192.168.x.x.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back