Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

traceroute problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

billmx

MIS
Aug 27, 2002
US
From our Cisco 1601 router doing a traceroute to fails in the houston.savvis.net hop. None of the PC's on our network can access that website. However our ISP can access from their switch.

We know of 1 other website that has the same problem and that traceroute also hangs at houston.savvis.net.

Can anyone point me to something on our router that could be causing this problem ?

Initial WAG is this could be a DNS problem, firewall issue, or access list issue. Do you have control of houston.savvis.net or a way to access that location to look at it's configuration?

Have you tried accessing the destination web site by IP address (64.246.30.37)? Can you ping?

Also what is in your config file, most noteably the routing table. Access-lists could be the issue too, check there, but I would bet that this is a routing issue.

What is the other site you have problems with? What is the IP? Is it close to 64.246.30.37?

I presume that your 1601 in on a stub network as thus only have a default route out to your ISP so there's not really much that you can do about routing on your end.

Can you resolve the IP address of this server? Can you ping it.

Just one other thought that might seem daft but I have seen it before. You're not using a network range internally that is the same as 64.246.30.x? You may laugh but I've seen it many times :)

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

Thanks for the replies.

Here is the resolution. It turns out that the hop past houston.savvis.net was ev1.net. That was the company hosting the couple of sites we could not get to. I was able to contact ev1.net and they were blocking web browsing traffic from our site, due to a virus from our location that was attacking their network. After going through all of our machines here, I found 2 lab machines that had a program call hwclock.exe running which is a trojan. I ran antivirus to clean the machines and called ev1 to have them remove the block. Everything is back to normal.

This points out a problem with our lab machines that their antivirus software is out of date. I think maybe I should segment those machines onto their own network. The antivirus software interferes with the application tests that they run so they usually just turn it off.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back