Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trace Software Inventory process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick123

Technical User
Apr 8, 2003
NL
Hello,

I am having a problem getting the software information from the client to the SMS (SQL)server.

The client agents are all installed, after looking in the client logfile sinv32.log it looks very well, the process is running on the client and there is also a file : sinv.his being created with all the information about the software on the client,

but I don't know where it goes wrong by sending this information to the server,

can anyone give me a tip where to look, to trace this problem ?

thanks

Patrick

Check the dataldr.lo* files on the site server. Look for the computer name and see if there was an "attempt to update non-existent row". Perhaps a full sofware inventory is not on the site server.

You can force a full software inventory by deleting the sinv.his file then starting the software inventory component through control panel.

(If you don't find the computer name in the logs then perhaps the log filled up and purged the record update information. Try forcing software inventory to run then check the logs.)

Thanks for your reaction,

But on the site server I can find only a directory within the SMS directory called dataldr.box but no logfiles files called like this.
this directory is also empty.

The client part is working fine, on the SMS server I changed the file extensions to look for on clients, and I can even find these in the sinv.his file on the client, but there is no way of uploading it to the server, any other suggestions ?

thanks

Go back to my post above, but look for dataldr.lo* at \SMS\Logs (you were at SMS\inboxes\dataldr.box).

Again, you're looking for errors indicating that the server couldn't process the data from the client, which is probably due to not having all the records present as expected. SMS should request a resync but sometimes it gets confused by roaming devices. If you have SP4 then this issue is prevented but there are some manual steps to take ( particularly 281107). Sending a full software inventory should fix the problem with the one client but you'll want to make sure this isn't a wide-spread problem.

Hi,

Thanks for your reaction, when I look in the dataldr.log file and find the machine name I am trying to do a software inventory and the messages look fine,

the following lines are in the file :
No more machine MIFs to be processed, terminating thread
Finished processing 1 MIFs

So this looks good to me, any other options where to look ?

thanks

I found a log file on the server called "sinvproc.log"
in this file there appears a message every 10 seconds and it says :

Waiting for the inbox manager to create the inboxes, retry in 10 seconds.
component: SMS_SOFTWARE_INVENTORY_PROCESSOR
Thread : 3212 (0xC8C)

what can I do with this info ?

Patrick

It's working now,

I found a Technet document (KB246604) which says that a client access point (CAP) is needed for a parent (primairy) site, even if it has no clients assigned, I only made a CAP on the secondary site server.

So I just enabled the CAP on the primairy site and it works fine now

Thanks

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back