Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tpunmount

Status
Not open for further replies.

joenok

MIS
Feb 27, 2002
US
Hello again, how do you know what filename to use to eject a tape correctly? I know you use the tpunmount but I don't know where to find which filename.

\volmgr\bin\tpunmount [-f] filename [-force]

thanks for any help

Hi,

Try looking at &quot;<install_dir>\Netbackup\db\media\tpreq&quot; at your media server. You should see files for every mounted tape listed under this directory.

MrLula

thanks MrLula, I found the dir and it only had one entry in there with 0 byte size. the name of the file is pend_JPH004, while JPH002 is the tape in the drive. it didn't eject. it gave me an
&quot;C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin>tpunmount pend_JPH004
File name does not exist&quot; error.

thanks for the help!!!

Try to use the full path name with tpunmount like:

tpunmount C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Netbackup\db\media\tpreq\<filename>

You can also check bptm logs at (<installdir>/netbackup/logs/bptm) if the log dirs were created. If they were not, I would create at least bptm log dir. It is usefull for performance tunning.

By the way, what are you trying to do? Do you have standalone drive or something? Are you trying to write directly to the tape using NB to mount it for you??

Sorry for asking, I am just curious about what people are doing with NetBackup.

MrLula

Yes, unfortunately we are using stand alone drives - I don't think for long, we've put in for a library in the capital budget but we won't be able to order until after the first of the year. We are backing up MS SQL servers, Solaris boxes running Oracle, Windows file servers, exchange. I'm having a problem managing the media and trying to schedule my policies, it's a real pain. A job gets kicked off to active and it wants random tapes that I haven't been able to figure out the pattern. I can't gracefully eject a tape and I hear that the netbackup database gets confused when it doesn't know that I've ejected a tape.
thanks for all your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back