Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tough question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauzzer

Technical User
Jun 4, 2002
NL
I dunno if its possible at all but here it goes, I have linux 7.3 just installed as an router for my cable modem at home, now im looking for a way to remote control this PC from my work PC, thing is i can only use HTTP ports cos of a proxy-server.

I was intending to let MIRC run from my linux-pc while remotely controlling it through a browser , ive experimented with a HTTP -tunnel but didn't got it to work

Any suggestions plz?

If you look back a ways there are several utilities mentioned. I think one was called VNC. I haven't tried these yet, but some of them looked quite nice.

Another thing you could try is webmin ( It's a great utility for configuring your system from a web browser.

im already using webmin, just the SSH/telnet part wont work. Me thinks proxy servers blocks everything but the port 80, so actually im looking for a way to use remote control in a browser window using port 80.

VNC will work on port 80 but you'll also need access to port 5200 (I might be wrong). You can find the ports listed on the website. Also, VCN has applets for viewing your desktop remotely via a browser.

Yeah, VNC Server runs a mini web server with a java applet on port 5800 + number of display (usually 0).
[smurf]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back