Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tote Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrier

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2003
GB
I have been asked (!) to provide a database which will detail the availibility/non-availibility of our workers.

This will include when they are on holiday, working off site, sick, courses etc. Obviously these details will be entered by the users in a date format.

The boss wants it to provide a weekly breakdown of availibility in numbers displaying up to ten weeks in advance.

I've tried to manipulate Outlook with no success.

Is there any gurus out there who could suggest some direction?

Thanks...T

This is a big project. You can look online for stuff to download that does some of this, though I don't know what luck you'll have. But this is a project that will require you to learn A LOT about building databases.

If there's a tight time constraint on getting this project done, I would suggest using a consultant to build it.

If there's no big rush, I would read the Fundamentals of Relational Database Design article on my website and go buy a book about Access. You'll have a lot to learn, but it will all be quite learnable.

If you're going to do it yourself, I would start by making a sketch of what tables you'll need, and the fields in each of those tables. After you've banged on those for a while (keeping in mind the stuff in the article I mentioned), come back here with some specific questions about your table structure, and you'll be able to get some good advice.

Some tables you'll certainly need:
tblPerson
tblHoliday
tblMonth
tblCourse
tblCourseDate

I'm sure there will be at least three times as many tables by the time you're done.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks

Take a look at the Developers' section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Didn't hink it would be straight forward.

Thanks for the pointers I'll go and have a look at what you've suggested and may well come back with more questions.

Thanks

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back