Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TOTALS WORK IN FOOTER NOT HEADER

Status
Not open for further replies.

laman

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
I have a crosstab report set up with dynamic column headings. The code puts totals for each column in the footer section and works fine. I am trying to put the totals in the header but I get blank textboxes when report opens. If I then go into design view and back to layout they fill in correctly. I've tried putting the code in different events with no luck. Any thoughts.

Thanks

Totals are based on the completed recordset. This isn't "loaded" or processed until the full report has run. Since the header is processed before the detail and the totals are based on the values processed in the detail section you have nothing to report. There are ways around this but usually involve using aggregate functions on the same recordset the report is based on (not that I'm recommending this, aggregate functions can be excrutiatingly slow to process). So, unless there is a truly compelling need I usually put totals in the report footer. I know this doesn't help, maybe someone else has overcome this issue with something that is a little more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back