Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

totally stumped this may be easy w2k perms issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezy6902

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2003
US
Hey guys,
I have a problem with w2k vs wxp on applying a domain group to local administrators group.

The 2000 box sits in info.domain.com

it needs a group lets call it cheese@util.otherdomain.com added to the administrators group on this machine. If i try adding the cheese@util.domain.com to administrators group on the xp box it resolves fine. if i try it on a 2000 box it doesnt see the domain. i have tried it on two 2000 boxes one server and the other professional. these computers are on the same subnet the xp machine is on and both belong to the info.domain.com (other domain)

Any takers?

Ben

Hey guys,
I have a problem with w2k vs wxp on applying a domain group to local administrators group.

The 2000 box sits in info.domain.com

it needs a group lets call it cheese@util.otherdomain.com added to the administrators group on this machine. If i try adding the cheese@util.otherdomain.com to administrators group on the xp box it resolves fine. if i try it on a 2000 box it doesnt see the domain. i have tried it on two 2000 boxes one server and the other professional. these computers are on the same subnet the xp machine is on and both belong to the info.domain.com

Any takers?

Ben

**sorry i couldnt edit it but corrected the "cheese@util.otherdomain.com" part

Does it work when you used the "NetBios friendly" group name of otherdomain\cheese?

nope because the box sits on another domain it will need the fqdn if anything.

its some way 2000 sees active directory domains using fqdn as opposed to xp machines. theres a change in design in the operating system that im trying to figure out. Hopefully there is a guru around the corner with the answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back