Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Totally Confused about CAL's

Status
Not open for further replies.

vacunita

Programmer
Aug 2, 2001
MX
While researching for a new server for a client of mine, I found out about these CAL's in this thread:
thread1584-1303632.

I found out that essentially buying a Server with SBS installed only gives you a stand alone PC. What's the point of buying a server version OS if you then need to actually pay more money for licenses on top of the server hardware and the OS (which is supposed to be a server version) to actually be able to share a stinking folder.

This is ridiculous, I mean if you are buying a Server OS isn't it supposed to be understood you plan on using it with other machines besides the hardware its installed on.

I have 12 machines, for 12 users. each user has a folder to put things in and a community folder for file sharing between them that are supposed to be in the server so can be backed up nightly. There will also be a single accounting application running on the server to which 2 machines connect.

Do I need 12 CAL's which adds up to more than what the server cost? Or is there something I am missing. DO i need CAL's for the single accounting app or what?

I just can't come up to the client and tell them they need to fork out $1700 dollars worth of licenses for a piece of hardware that costs only $1000. Microsoft should get sued for that practice, I mean shouldn't the licenses be included with the OS at leas 5 or 10 of them.

The server is supposed to replace the current Windows NT 4 Domain server they have running. Its supposed to be a simple procedure. No exchange, no other server applications but the accounting one.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

SBS comes with 5 cals included and then you buy more if you need them.

The client OSs used include a CAL but not anymore, microsoft obviously saw an opertunity to bump up the profits.

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

Google search of just tech forums & articles
(very useful, honest!)

vacunita,

Also, there are user CALs and device CALs, so if you have multiple people using the same PCs then you do not need more CALS than PCs...but as you describe it it's 12 people, 12 machines.

And, like forumKB said, SBS comes with 5 CALs. You can buy multiples of (5) CALs.

As I understand it you do not need a CAL for the accounting app...just the machines or people that will access it through SBS.

And, SBS is a bargain product...I mean this seriously. You get a full Exchange, a useful Server 2003 backbone, and depending on the version you buy (I have 2003 Premium) also get SQL and ISA...quite a package for the dollar. Add them up separately and you'll see what I mean.

I am not in any way affiliated with MS, but this is one product I think they got right. And, if I were shopping for a server OS, I would hold off if possible for SBS 2008, which will have Exchange 2007 integrated. It will only run on 64-bit hardware though, so that means good ol' 2003 will be around for a good while. I can highly recommend it, I migrated to it from NT 4.0 single-handedly and it was a piece of cake.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanx. I'm still researching this. Still it seams a lot of money just for licenses. Over the hardware. I would like to install Linux however the accounting app only runs on Windows.

I understand that it has a few extra things included, but my client really doesn't need the Exchange server, or the SQL server. Still its nice to know they included it.

Basically it comes down to user management and shares.

I wonder if I can save on the server OS and licenses and accomplish the same thing with XP Pro, or Vista Business.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

vacunita,

When we bought our NT 4.0 server from a local shop in 1999, not only did we have to buy very expensive (at the time) hardware (single-disk 10GB SCSI, an additional 50-pin SCSI adapter, DAT tape backup etc), but also needed to buy:

NT Server 4.0 (5 client)
MS BackOffice Server
Exchange Server 5.5
Veritas Backup Exec

So our software costs way exceeded our hardware costs, even then when hardware was expensive!

I can see how getting used to cheap/free Linux OSes would get you to bristle at the cost of deploying an MS server though.

There is a very valuable feature in SharePoint too, although not many people (myself included) make full use of its features. If I were learning SBS from scratch I would definitely devote some time & resources to SharePoint, it's a nice tool.

If you don't need the extras look into Server 2003, but I think it's pricier than SBS. I bought my SBS copy OEM and got a great deal, but now wish I had bought retail to have had MS support...and a manual!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back