Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Total of multiple records in subform

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhicsupt

MIS
Oct 22, 2005
US
I have a query based off of a subform. The subform will have multiple entries for the client's name. Then they will also have the amount that we invoiced them. Is there a way to have a total column that would sum up all of the invoices? I need this field so that I can sort the records by the highest amount by customer. In other words, line 1 and 2 would show:

ABC Company $1000 $2500
ABC Company $1500 $2500
XYZ Company $500 $7000
XYZ Company $500 $7000
XYZ Company $6000 $7000

Thanks in advance.

You could use DSum() to calculate the total by Customer. If you try a subquery, you could see the total but I'm not sure you would be able to sort by the total in your report. You could also create a totals query that groups by Customer and sums Invoice. Then join this query into the record source of your report.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

A starting point:
SELECT A.ClientName, A.Amount, T.Total
FROM yourTable INNER JOIN (
SELECT ClientName, Sum(Amount) AS Total FROM yourTable GROUP BY ClientName
) AS T ON A.ClientName = T.ClientName
ORDER BY 3

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back