Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Total number of networked MICS's 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidwalters

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2013
US
I need to expand an already networked MICS. I currently have 2 MICS ( 7.1XC ), 1 NAM networked at a site. I need to add more DN's. Is is possible to add more, what is the total number of MICS that can be networked locally at one site?

Thanks

Documentation says that you can network two or more Norstar system together. It seems like a pretty cool challenge, too!

As for the maximum number of MICS that can be networked together, it is hard to answer. For example, using a coordinated dialing plan, you could easily have 7 MICS networked together: DNs in first system would begin by 2, DNs in second system would begin by 3, …, DNs in seventh system would begin by 8. (I left out DNs beginning with 1, 9 and 0 as these digits are usually taken for the Call Park prefix, the external access code and the direct-dial digit.)

However, sooner or later, I guess there would be some issues. For instance, depending on how the public trunks are distributed, some calls might not be routed because private trunks are busy.

In your case, there would be only 3 systems. I'm sure it can be done. The hardest part will probably be to plan everything carefully: number of public trunks and in which systems, number of private trunks between the systems and numbering plan.

Thanks. I thought that the MICS was designed for large scale networks. I know that TIE lines use to be used to connected several remote systems together so if the systems were all local I don't see why that could not be done as well.

The customer like the MICS and NAM and wants to stay with it. It has been a real workhorse so why mess with success. They have gotten their money's worth so why invest in a whole new system for them when they are satisfied with what they have and the features they are using. they have no interest in any of the newer features the newer systems have to offer.

I understand the excellence in the Norstar product believe me, the upgrade that I would recommend to you is the E-Metrotel UCx system. You can reuse all your old handsets and little to no training is necessary cause most of the Norstar features carried over to the UCx. If you have never heard of the system you should check it out, it's the future of the Norstar/BCM or as close as it's going to get.

Charm City Communications

so if the systems were all local I don't see why that could not be done as well."

No difference, same hardware ....just shorter wires.

How are the system networked? E&M? DTI cards? just curious.

Best to get a vendor involved for this addition.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thank you for the eMetrotel suggestion however the customer wants to stay with the MICS, even though the product is obsolete there actually brand new parts, control units and even keycodes available on the market for them at dirt cheap prices.

Yes networking the systems together really is just a matter of them talking to each other, the distance should be no issue if down the street, across the city or a few feet away.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your issue, but if you simply need to add more DNs why not simply add a 0 X 16 module to your NAM?

0X16's plug into KSU and not NAM's.
NAM is a voice mail unit.

However you might have a good point if you mean KSU.
DavidWalters noted he has 2 KSU's networked but failed to mention if they are maxed out!!!.
i.e 2 6 port exp cards and each of the 12 ports are full.

6.1 and prior you could not use ports 13 and 14 as reserved for companions but 7.0 and up you can use 0X16s if need more "Station Ports" (as opposed to saying "more DN's)

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

YEs, they are maxed out. There are also three fiber extenders to remote buildings which is why I would need to stay with MICS. I know eMetrotel and even IP Office will handle all of the old M and T series sets but I do not believe they are set up to handle the fiber extenders unless I missed some documentation that allows for the use of Fiber Extenders on eMetrotel and IP Office.

They do have a fiber backbone running through all 12 buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back