Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

total newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

radlan

Technical User
Mar 25, 2006
CH
hi guys, thanks a wonderful forum!
I am a total newbie in tcl development and just started learning... I got a Wish84 console and it seems to me that its not compatible with tcl code 100%. What console do you use? what should I have to get started with tcl coding? I also want to learn how to help me do QA job at the company, testing debugging etc.. what tools would I need for that?

thanks so much in advance!

I got a Wish84 console and it seems to me that its not compatible with tcl code 100%.

What do you mean? If you bring up a Wish session, you get a console window and a blank Tk window. Are you saying that if you type a valid Tcl command in the console, you get an error? What command; what error?

what should I have to get started with tcl coding? I also want to learn how to help me do QA job at the company, testing debugging etc.. what tools would I need for that?

This forum is certainly a good start. Also, there are several good books out there; my favorite is Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk by Brent Welch.

I am not personally a big fan of IDEs. I would use a good text editor with syntax recognition (ConText is a good one).

When I was getting started, I found the Tk demo's to be extremely helpful. Also, the help files are quite good.

What are you trying to accomplish?

thanks a lot Bob, I recently got Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk by Brent Welch. I got my TCL/TK from

is it the right source to get a console?

What I am trying to accomplish is to learn how to write scripts for testing switshes/routers, Cisco stuff and stuff in that field.

Yes, that all seems right. Try to do something and post any problems you're having here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back