Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Total from another table of records

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwbviper

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
GB
Hi there,

I have created a Personnel database, part of which records TOIL, with a new record created each time a staff member has time off. The amount of time off is recorded in a field for their staff records. I want to show on their Personal Details section a total of all days they have spent on TOIL, within a new field. How do i go about creating a count of the total amount of days spent on TOIL to be displayed in the new field, held within a seperate table?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Colin

Is there a need to hold that data in a table? You can calculate it for a report or to display it on screen so why do you need to store the value in a seperate table?

Hi jaydeebetoo,

The total for TOIL is also going to be replicated for absence and these all impact on pay, holidays etc so i have been asked to build this into the database. The value is not stored in a table on it's own, i have added it in as an additional field on one of the main tables. I guess there is no definitive requirement to actually store it, but it must be calculated and the total must be shown on the form somewhere.

Cheers for replying so quickly.

Hi viper,

no problem.

I would just calculate all those values on a form. Its seems like a waste to have them stored as they can all be derived from data you already have stored.

Hi jaydeebetoo,

Thanks for the help.

I've ended up calculating i using the DCOUNT function. Seem's to work ok.

Cheers

Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back