Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

total beginer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

orisons

Programmer
Feb 18, 2002
CA
I am brand new (I mean only a few days old to the art (or black magic)of programming) I have a copy of visual basic 6 and I have succesfully written a few (rather dull) basic programs, I know I must learn to crawl, walk......etc and the resources on the net ar v impressive but I find that reading net stuff just dosn't sink in, so I was looking for some advice about books, I have looked around and every author of a book tells me that their book is the best (what a surprise) so I was hoping for some views from some people who have actualy used the books, not written them, Please remember I am new to this so "spell guide to visual basic 6 vol 66.6(or how to get you computer to wash the car)" are not really in my league, I know I may sound picky but the book should have a shelf life of more than 3 days, so something that goes form complete novice to grand spellmaster extrordanair.
Thank you
(and if you're reading this thinking what a w***** sorry for wasting your valuable spelltime

I would recommend one of the MS books and the gather the rest of your info online. You'll learn more from other's code examples in real world projects.

IMHO.
FM

There is an author named John Smiley who has written several books, one of them for total novices. In it, he takes an imaginary VB class, populates it with imaginary students, and hooks them up with a simple project. In the project, they follow the normal steps of developing a project from scratch, and along the way, he passes on a lot of knowledge. The book is kind of hokey in places, but the guy knows his stuff.

If you're just learning to crawl, this is a way to get there without wading through one of those 800 page behemoths that drive you nuts.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Paul

QUE has a special edition vb6 book that I've found to be excellent for the beginner. If you'd like the ISBN, email me at my home email address: jim@jimnull.com, and I'll email it back to you. I'm at work right now and don't have the book here with me.

I'm pretty happy with these:

Visual Basic 6 Complete, by Sybex: $19.99

The above has downloadable sample programs from the net.

Beginning Visual Basic 6 Database Programming, John Connell, Wrox: $35.99

A BIG PROBLEM with VB6 is it's Package Wizard - it's not wrapping up all of the files that are needed with some programs, especially databases.

This means that you could bust your butt making a good program on your computer, but when you try to put it on somebody else's computer, it gets a CLSID error, specifically:

"Class not registered: Looking for object with CLSID:{00000010-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}"

I guarantee you this is a real bummer, because after two weeks of searching, nobody, includng Microsoft, has given me a viable solution.

Best of luck with the black magic,

Rougy

I also endorse John Smiley's books. I have found answers to many of the questions posted in this forum in his books.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

I found the book titled "Programming Visual Basic 6.0" by Francesco Balena from Microsoft Press to be a great book. It provides straight to the point starting point info and remains one of my most referenced materials as it provides a lot of info on many advanced topics as well. There is a better overview as well as some chapter samples at vb2themax.com. Good Luck. Anything is possible, the problem is I only have one lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back