Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toshibe laptop - I want to remove Vista and.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunch

Vendor
Aug 29, 2007
GB
Hi all - - Looking for an answer to this. Just bought a Toshiba laptop L30 and it shipped with Vista basic preinstalled. The hard drive has a very small hidden partition with the rescue disc data installed.

I want to take Vista off completely and re-install my XP Professional. The laptop does not have a floopy drive so Fdisk is out of the question. My question is, How do I format the drive giving me 100% of it and install my XP pro operating system.

Can someone help me please. PS, My Norton partition magic is not compatable with Vista.

You could either get a USB floppy drive, or create a bootable USB key with your Fdisk on there, or if you have the items to allow you to do this you could remove the drive from the laptop and plug it into an other PC.

The XP Installation routine gives you the option to delete any partitions you want, no floppy booting required.

Hi Smah - - Thats what I thought but when I booted from my XP Disc the message came up, "Cannot install this op system because the op system on here is newer than this"...

I know exactly where your coming from about being able to format using the XP CD but it didnt give me a chance.

Regards
Mel

You'll have to wipe your hard drive completely. There was a thread here about that...see if it's on page 2 maybe.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Some clues and past stories here.

How to install Windows XP over Vista
faq779-6713

How to restore a computer to a previous Windows installation after you install Windows Vista

Downgrading from Vista to XP
thread1583-1350480

Using DBAN
thread1583-1373898

XP Drivers for a Gateway w/Vista?
thread779-1329243: XP Drivers for a Gateway w/Vista?

How can I install Win XP Pro SP2 on a Vista Pre-installed PC ?
thread779-1373663

Vista OS to xp pro OS?
thread779-1375858

Thaks guys for all the input. I have decided to live with it for the time being. Still frustating tho' to think that these manufacturers can control your puter. It would be great if you could buy a laptop with a clean hard drive and for to just install a op system of your choice huh?

Regards,

Mel

This may be similar to the last post.

The PC Decrapifier (originally titled, Introducing the Dell De-Crapifier…)

From the FAQ.

Will the PC Decrapifier work with Vista?
Yes. It works with all versions of Windows XP and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back