Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toshiba T4800CT password

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA1GS

Programmer
Mar 8, 2000
NL
I've got a Toshiba T4800CT notebook.
When booting up it asks for a password.
Does anyone known a backdoor password or
a work around for this passsword.

Thanks

Goegre

If you didn't set the password, who did?
Do you trust the source that it came from? Are you sure it aint nicked.

You don't mention OS, this is for WinXP. Boot into Safe Mode (Press F8 repeatedly while booting) , try getting in with the Administrator login, password blank. That's your only option besides formatting & clean-installing OS. BTW if the hard drive is password protected you might as well throw it away, that password is stored in the drive's firmware, reformatting won't help.

Tony

I have never come across a hard drive that has firmware password protection. You may find that it is either the BIOS password that is set or some BIOS's allow for a password to be set for the HDD. BIOS passwords normally have a backdoor, but removing the CMOS battery for 30 seconds or so should wipe it. It's not always easy to get to a CMOS battery on a laptop though. If it is indeed a password on the HDD (which I dought) you would probably be out of luck.
Tell us the type of password & assure us that the machine hasn't been stolen.

You could try using a knoppix live cd and work from there to reset your password.

sounds like its a BIOS boot password, which means you won't be able to boot anything else, or enter the BIOS.

Tosh laptops are a nightmare when it comes to this, as there is no easy way to reset them. You could try searching on the net for a default password (some of them did ship with a system default of t0shiba buts its likely its been changed.

Failing that, an authorised Tosh repair shop may have the USB or Parallel dongle which would allow a BIOS level password reset.

Good luck.

Scotsdude[bravo]
Help us help you - let us know when our insane scribblings help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back