Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toshiba SatellitePro 410CDT upgrade from Win95 to 98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Aug 8, 2002
AU
Hi,
I have an old Toshiba SatellitePro 410CDT running Win 95. Is it possible to upgrade to Win 98SE or higher without the toshiba drivers? Toshiba tells me that this notebook is only designed for Win 95 and there are no drivers for higher versions. Would the new operating system install generic drivers that would work? I need to upgrade to be able to use PCMCIA cardbus.
Thanks
A.D.

While it is true that I have seen hardware that will only work with certain operating systems, the reality is, most hardwares work fine on newer operating systems.

Odds are, if you load 98, it will be able to recognize the hardware and load the correct drivers.

However, there is a chance 98 might not recognize one or more devices. I suspect if all else fails, XP would probably sense everything, but of course it will run slower than 98.

I suggest you go to device manager and write down entries for all hardware components, such as the video adapter, modem, network card. This way, you can search out drivers later if you have to. Toshiba may make the laptop, but many of its integrated components are designed by other hardware manufacturers.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

also
not sure if your ver (or any ver) of 95 have a HWINFO and or MSinfo16 or MSinfo32 that'll help you see the drivers needed
Start > Run hwinfo
Start > Run msinfo32
Start > Run msinfo16
to try all three

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

I think I have installed Windows 98SE on this particular model of Toshiba laptop and it detects and install the drivers during setup.

They have one Windows 98 file to download for this laptop if you look here

Its a keyboard driver. But I think you will find it will find the rest automatically.

I have a Tecra 740CDT and have installed Windows 98 (first edition), and ME without any issues. Both detected the hardware without any issues, including the PCMCIA slots.

Note that you should be able to change the PCMCIA settings in the BIOS, so if it's not set to CardBus that's where you'd change it.

Wishdiak

SkipCox:

What is "exceedingly well"? I just upgraded a Compaq Presario laptop from 95 to 98SE. We're talking SSSllloooooo operation. It seems that 98 uses so much more of the available resources.

That's just a Compaq issue.

For the Toshiba 410CDT, I got one running 98, installed clean from a 98CD boot + those drivers and everything works 100% !

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Thanks Marc, luckily it's not my system - just someone who wants everything for nothing!

micker377;
have you tried a new Softpaq or ROMpaq (possibly an upgraded one)

for the actual d/l you'll need some numbers to match up
here's the ftp;
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back