Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toshiba Satellite a210 windows vist install issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipolmans

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2013
CA
Hey All,

Quick background: My Uncle had a huge flood about a year ago(Laptop did not get wet), about 3 months later his laptop gave him the "black screen of death". I haven't had the chance to look at it for almost a year now. Finally I got the chance to take a look a few days ago. I cleaned out the guts of the computer as it was over heating(heat sync was covered in dust and fan was seized). Now that it stays on I need to re-install windows, which brings us to my issue.

The back up partition on the HDD was not working(most likely corrupt) so I have re-formatted the entire hard drive and I found a windows vista disc for the install. At this point I have gotten all the way to the install window where it shows "Coping windows files, Expanding windows files, installing features, installing updates and complete installation." it gets through the first 3 no problem but when it hits the Installing updates portion it gives me the following message;
"Windows cannot copy files from E:\Sources to C:\$WINDOWS.~LS\Sources. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart installation. Error Code 0x80070017"

I have reformatted the hard drive and done a system repair on the disc to attempt to recover any corrupt info(which it stated was successful) and still it gives me the same error code at the same point. Does anyone have know what I am missing here?... could my windows disc be permanently corrupt by chance?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Either there is a problem with the dvd, or a problem with the dvd drive.

ok I will download a new copy of windows and give that a shot. Is the dvd drive an expensive fix?

New update: I am now able to fully install windows, once complete it restarts and I get a message about missing or corrupt varification information. Is this the disc? And if not how do I transfer the OS from the disc to a USB stick. I'd like to try that before replacing the disc drive.

You can use the tool Microsoft built for it, it is located here, along with the directions on its use.

I wont be able to try until Saturday but i will let you know how it goes.

Have you tested the HDD to know it is in working order? First clue to me would have been the corrupt recovery partition followed by subsequent install failures. If I missed this somewhere above, I apologize but hardware testing on a laptop that was exposed to a moist environment seems logical to me. Test the HDD with the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic or download the Ultimate Boot CD and run ViVard to see what shows. Memtest prolly wouldn't hurt either.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

DrBOb, Thanks for the reply! no I haven't done any diagnostics up to this point... to be honest I've never done any in the past and really don't know how... What programs do you suggest, and are they complicated to run?

per drb0b -
Test the HDD with the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic or download the Ultimate Boot CD
You need to download this CD, burn the downloaded ISO image file to a CD, set your computer to boot from CD as first priority (if it's not already set to), then choose the category for Hard Drive Tools and the then the one specific to your brand of hard drive. HDD brand is determined by either looking at the hard drive in the PC OR it would be listed in the BIOS.

If this is all starting to sound like too much for you, time to call a pro or at least a willing schlep to help you.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back