Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toshiba Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBrand

MIS
Sep 25, 2001
CA
I have a Toshiba laptop with an internal wireless lan mini pci card. Can I connect that to my Linksys BEFW11S4 V2? I can connect using my pc with a Linksys wireless adapter, but my laptop just says Network cable unplugged. ( It is a wireless adapter though) Can I get this to work or else do i need a Linksys adapter for my laptop?

You can get it to work.
Set your SSID, Channel, WEP etc. in the mini-adapter to the appropriate settings for your wireless router.

Then notice that there is a button on the top panel below the display to turn the wireless card on or off. The default is off.

Hi,

yes you can.

some laptops have a SWITCH for the wireless card to be activated (turned on), this will activate the wireless zero configuartion of your computer (2 monitors on the bottom). look for one on yours. you will basically detect the presence of an available network (SSID) and connect from there.

the purpose of the switch is to save power basically. some toshiba models with switches are listed below.

>. Toshiba satellite 1135s1554 left side black switch light indicator will turn amber after you turn it on

>. Toshiba xp media center edition p25s607 the switch is at the left hand side of the base

>. Toshiba satellite a20/a25 series at the left hand side specifically labeled as "wireless antenna"

anyway is assume that your laptop is on one of these...

Just went thru this with a Toshiba 9100 which has a Toshiba wireless card. Look in Control Panel for an icon saying something like 'Wireless Network'. Click that, click 'add' in the select profile panel, in next screen type in Linksys or Home, or whatever you like for profile name, and continue on. My laptop picked up the linksys signal immediately.

Not sure for you, but the 9100 also has a button on front to activate the wireless card, and an icon in the system tray called 'Network Device Switch' that I have to click, then select the Toshiba Mini wireless card over the hardwired network connection.

Last, check power saving, choosing maximum battery life may turn off your wireless card when not running on AC power.

HI,

yep. thats it! just right click on the 2 monitor icon on the system tray
> Available Networks should show there "Linksys"
> click the "allow me to connect button"
> then click the "CONNECT BUTTON " and you should be connected.
> right click again check STATUS > look for your valid ip address usually it's 192.168.1.101.. > click details check for DNS numbers also

i assume your router is configured already.

Just push the button.
My wife forgets every time.

"Sweetie, the wireless is not working again."
"Just push the button."
"Oh. Why if I have a "docked" "undocked" hardware profile cannot this be done by itself. I am on AC power."
"Darn good question. Darn good question."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back