Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toshiba gone to the dark side

Status
Not open for further replies.

SysRed

Technical User
Dec 11, 2005
ES
Hi All,

I have been presented with a Tosh Equium A300D 16C Laptop, with a smashed LCD. Firstly I tested the video card and ran a complete diagnostics on the laptop, everything past fine. However, upon replacement of LCD the screen is extremely dark, almost unreadable. I am going to assume it is a 'blown inverter' it's the word 'blown' that worries me as an inverter is a small board, what part blows and can this be caused by dropping? Can you run any tests to check whether it is the inverter or do you just have to buy one and hope.

Also, is there any other cause for the very dark screen. Lastly, any recommendations as to where to purchase a replacement inverter.

Thanks as always.

SysRed

As you stated, the screen is extremely dark, this leads me to concur with you that the inverter is "blown."

Testing them is not that hard if you have a digital multimeter handy. You can check out this page: and get some suggestions on how to determine if the inverter is "blown." Please be careful when measuring the inverter output as they typically put out 500V to 700V.

As for buying a new one, I think the best place to start is always eBay.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back