Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Top N

Status
Not open for further replies.

diannelight

Technical User
Feb 24, 2003
US
I have 4 different graphs on one report and I need to set up a Top N for each.
Is the Top N for the whole report only, or is there a way to have a number of different ones set up?
Example:
Graph one;
Created a summary for 'Calls Made' per Agent. Graph shows top 10 agents.
Graph two;
Created a summary for 'Calls Received' per Agent. Graph shows top 5 agents.
etc.

What I'm finding is that the report will only show the top 10 agents that are common in all graphs.
I need to treat each graph as a seperate query.
Above info didn't give me any ideas.
I am using Version 9 & Field Definition files.
I would be very grateful for some more pointers.
Thanks.

Top N is for each graph, providing that you're using just One on change of.

For "Created a summary for 'Calls Made' per Agent. Graph shows top 10 agents"

Select Agent as the on change of, and add in the Calls Made for the Show Values, then click the Agent and select TOP N and set it to For This Group Sort to TOP N based on calls made where N is 10.

Uncheck Others if you don't want them in there under the generic title Others.

-k

K,
Thank you - this is what I have done.
But as I say, when I run the report it only shows the common agents in each graph.

What does common agents mean?

Where are these graphs?

If the graph is at a agent group level, or a group level with only some agents, then that's all it should show.

Place the graphs at the report footer and see iof that produces the expected results.

-k

K, The graphs are in the report header.
What I mean by common agents is that if 'Agent A' has data in all graphs (ie. he has made and received calls and he is in the top 10) then he will show on the graphs.
If 'Agent A' has made calls but not received calls, graphs will all be blank.
I will place the graphs at the footer but I'm not sure that this will make a difference.
I hope this is a bit clearer.

Have tried placing the graphs in the footer but still get the same response.
Any other ideas?
Thanks.

Dianne,

I just recreated your problem. I created two graphs, with different topN agents showing up in each. Then I did a topN on the main report, and the graphs changed to only show those agents within the topN on the main report. So, I think you must have topN set up in the main report, and the solution is to remove it, and only use the topN feature within the individual graphs.

-LB

It sounds like you have a TopN set for the whole report. Turn that TopN off, and only do the TopN inside each Chart Expert.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Tips and Tricks / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

LB / Ken,
Thank you for your replies.
I checked my report and did not have a TopN set for the entire report.
Decided to re-create the report from scratch. It now does show the expected results for each graph.
However, I don't want to see the agent names that have zero values against them.
In the formula's, I have created 'Calls Made > 0' but it then puts all the values for agents as '1'?

Use a subtotal, not the field, in your crieteria. If you have the count of Calls on the report there will be a sigma that indicates this in the field list.

- tek@kenhamady.com

Ken, I'm not sure that I understand what you mean.
When I create a count, it only counts the records not the calls made per agent (which I expect).
I have tried a running total but that just gives me the same figures as previously and still shows the agent names with zero values.
Please explain further. Thank you.

Maybe I misunderstood. Where are you seeing the agents with 0 calls? Is the 0 calls a subtotal in the report?

- tek@kenhamady.com

Ken,
The zero values are showing on the graphs ie. Graph shows top 10 agent names even if they have not made any calls.
I would like to just see those that have data.
I have not included any summaries on these 'made calls', just 'Made Calls'/ Agent name - the data is correct.
Thanks again.

What is the "SHOW" value (subtotal) used in the chart(s)?

- tek@kenhamady.com

The 'Show values' is 'Calls Made' with the 'Don't Summarize' box selected.
The Agent Name has a group sort of Top N based on 'sum of Calls Made' where N is 10 , and 'Include Ties' selected (although I have tried de-selecting this too).

It doesn't make sense that the TopN uses the Sum of Calls Made, while the Chart shows Calls Made with no Summary. What happens if you take out the "Dont Summarize" option and sum there also?

- tek@kenhamady.com

Ken, I've taken out the 'Don't Summarize' option.
Unfortunately, I can't figure how it's calculated it but the figures are now way out - it still shows data for the agents that previously had data and the names of the agents in the group without data.

You have to figure out if this field needs to be summed or not. If it should NOT be summed then your TopN on a sum is not going to be accurate. What table is this field in? What other tables are in the report.

- tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back