Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Top Five or so Questions when creating an Access Database 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

R9772

Technical User
Aug 15, 2002
US
can anyone tell me the top five questions that should be asked before creating an Access database?

Here's a few suggestions:

1. What do you want the database to do? (This will help define the scope.)
2. What reports do you want? (Knowing what the end result should be helps to identify what information should be stored)
3. What is the current system being used? (This gives you a BIG headstart in determining what information should be tracked, even if it is a paper-based system. Also the current forms, whether paper or electronic can provide a starting point for developing your Access forms. The same is true of reports.)
4. What are the shortcomings of the current system? (These are the problems you will want to resolve.)
5. What are the strengths of the current system? (Try to preserve them or recreate them if you can.)

-Coco

[auto]

Don't forget: WHO WILL BE USING THE DATABASE. This will tell you how to setup your security rights on the database as well.

:)WB

7) What problem do you expect it to solve? What caused the need for this project?

If the effort to create a database is going to be expended, then somebody finally got fed up with doing things without one. To make the database solve this problem, you need to understand what the problem is, and what is driving the expenditure of resources (money, time, etc.) to do this project.

<2cents>
This is very similar to question 4, but in my opinion needs to be asked separately. These two questions are the most important IMHO, but for some reason, customers are often reluctant to provide this info. This is why I ask it as two separate questions.

The reason I feel knowing the problem is more important that knowing what they want it to do is that they will blame you and your database if it doesn't solve their problem, even if it does everything they asked. Part of your job is to determine if what they are requesting will actually solve their problem.
</2cents>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back