Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TOP 3 for Analysis Services to Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

vness

MIS
Nov 22, 2002
US
I am the dba and my programmers wanted to use Analysis Services. I have never used it before but I had to make it work. After beating my head in, here are the top three things that got it to work for me.

Our environment:
Users have NT authenticated IDs
Database Server - SQL Server 2000 SP2 / Win 2K
Analysis Server - A.S. 8, Win 2K , SQL client utilities
Users creating cubes from the SQL 2000 databases

1) Add the user's NT ID to the OLAP administrators group on the Analysis Server.

2) Make the Analysis Server Service a domain account. - If not it gave an error when processing the cube: Login Failed for user DomainName\ServerName$'.;42000

3) Migrate the repository to the SQL Server/msdb (Books On-Line article). - When the repository was still in Microsoft Access it gave an error like 'Database is read-only. Cannot update or edit' when creating the Data Source.

Save yourself some hassle. Check these 3!

Hi, 90 out of 100 the error 'Database is read-only. Cannot update or edit' on Access db is due to folder/file permissions on NTFS filesystem. Stick to your guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back