Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

top 2000 records or last 2000 records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mestidor

Programmer
Jun 20, 2002
CA
Could some help me with this,
I want to selecte from a table the last 2000 record.
with sql it's easy but with crystal report even I insert in the sql statement top 2000, I only have the first 2000 rows

Top 2000 means the first 2000. Not the last.

How are you defining the 'last 2000' records? In a database, records aren't usually ordered chronologically, unless you've ordered by a timestamp or a similar unique field of which you know the current maximum value.

I don't know what type of database you're querying, so for the sake of argument, I'll imagine it's Oracle.

If you were querying an Oracle database to find out the first 5 records in a table, you could either say

'Select * from table'

and look at the first 5 records returned, or

'Select * from table where rownum < 6'

- you'll find that it's the latter that gives you the real first 5 records.

There isn't a command in Crystal or RDBMS 3GLs which will act like a reverse rownumber command. You would have to execute a query similar to :

select * from table_name
minus
select * from table_name where rownum < ( select count(*)-2000 from table_name)

to get the last 2000 rows. You'd then point Crystal at the results and query off that.

Naith

The principal is the same, Mestidor. The subselect I gave you should do it.

What sql were you using, out of curiosity?

Naith

To get the last 2000 records shouldn't be a problem, providing all the record selection criteria are included in the SQL statement.

It's simply a case of reversing the sort order on the relevant field and selecting the top 2000 (or where rownum<2001) depending on the RDBMS.

If the SQL doesn't include the selection criteria, the principle remains the same but you would have to sort in the crystal report and use a rowcounter, where records beyond 2000 are suppressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back