Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tooltips are poping up behind Dropdown Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

calandrelli

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
US
I have small markers that produce pop-up tooltips for each field on a page. They work great for text boxes but when I use them next to a Dropdown box they appear behind the box. Any ideas how to force them in front of the box?

Here is the code for the label and box....

Code:
           <td width="311" valign="top" height="37"> 
            <span class="fieldname2">Key Product <a class="tooltips2" href="#" onMouseOver="stm(Text[11],Style[2])" onMouseOut="htm()">[?]</a> 
            *</span><br>
              <!--webbot bot="Validation" b-value-required="TRUE" b-disallow-first-item="TRUE" --><select tabindex=9 name="Key_Product">
<%
query2 = "Select DISTINCT Key_Prod, Key_Prod from tbl_DD_KeyProd ORDER BY Key_Prod"
recordset2.Open query2, connect
%>
                <option value="" selected>Choose</option>
<%
Do While Not recordset2.EOF
     NoResults = False
%>
                <option value="<%=recordset2("Key_Prod")%>"><%=recordset2("Key_Prod")%></option>
<%
recordset2.MoveNext
Loop
recordset2.Close
%>
</select>
          </td>

Here are the associated lines from the style js file.

Code:
Text[...]=[title,text]

Style[...]=[TitleColor,TextColor,TitleBgColor,TextBgColor,TitleBgImag,TextBgImag,TitleTextAlign,TextTextAlign, TitleFontFace, TextFontFace, TipPosition, StickyStyle, TitleFontSize, TextFontSize, Width, Height, BorderSize, PadTextArea, CoordinateX , CoordinateY, TransitionNumber, TransitionDuration, TransparencyLevel ,ShadowType, ShadowColor]
*/

var FiltersEnabled = 1 // if your not going to use transitions or filters in any of the tips set this to 0

Text[11]=["Key Product","Indicate if the change is linked to a key product that is not allowed to back order."]

Style[2]=["white","black","#003465","#E8E8FF","","","","","","","right","","","",200,"",2,2,10,10,"","","100","",""]

applyCssFilter()

Looks very complex. Why not just use title= in <td>. Is it one of those that doesn't work on every browser? That is the only reason I can see for coding functionality that is already provided by the browser.

Most of that code drives the drop down box...I only included it to be complete.

This is the only line that creates the tool....
Code:
<a class="tooltips2" href="#" onMouseOver="stm(Text[11],Style[2])" onMouseOut="htm()">[?]</a>

These line populate the tip and add style....
Code:
Text[11]=["Key Product","Indicate if the change is linked to a key product that is not allowed to back order."]

Style[2]=["white","black","#003465","#E8E8FF","","","","","","","right","","","",200,"",2,2,10,10,"","","100","",""]

applyCssFilter()

It's actually a very good looking tooltip with a title, a body and customized color schemes as well as sticky placment.

I suppose the question I ought to ask is what does stm do? At a guess it is probably a piece of javascript which shows a <div> or a <span> at a particular location and htm hides it. I'm just guessing here as that is how I used to do it until I discovered title.

The problem with this is that a <div> and <span> are a browser controls and dropdown lists will always appear on top of them. I don't think there is a way around it unless you always show the tooltip on the bottom right of the control that you're hovering over instead of the bottom right of the mouse pointer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back