Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tools for Bandwidth Measurement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimpa1

Technical User
Jan 27, 2005
US
I have a cisco router connected to a vsat, which is suppose to give me 128K but it seems a lot slower than that.
What tools can I use to see how much bandwidth I have on a private circuit?

I use Iperf, it rocks. It is free, it is easy to use, and it supports multiple platforms. Here is a link to it:

From the commandline type iperf -s on the receiving end. Then iperf -c <ip address of receiver> on the other end. It will transfer data for 10 seconds and report back the throughput. It supports different port numbers, UDP and a number of other cool options.

Mike

I download it (windows) and I tried using the iperf.exe but I cant type anything on there. Am I suppose to install it on 2 pc, 1 at each end?

Yes, you need to run Iperf on both ends of the connection. On one end type:

iperf -s

This end will receive the data. On the other end type:

iperf -c <ip address of receiver>

This end will transmit the data. You must give the transmitter the IP address of the receiver.

Mike

MRTG is good for monitoring the router stats by all accounts and I am told PRTG is ok too.

I use SolarWinds Adbanced Bandwidth Monitor to look at the same stats, you can download a demo from the solarWinds website.

I use a SNMP monitor from Castle Rock, SNMPc is the name, is easy, fast, and complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back