Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toolbars on Taskbar- Greyed or "ghosted...XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gagreen

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
I am completely baffled why the toolbars on taskbar have become "ghosted" (greyed) since upgrading to SP2.

I read about various entrys in the REGISTRY, such as NOTOOLBARSONTASKBAR, but so far I can not get the toolbars to restore functionality.

Strangely, you can add new toolbars to the taskbar...but ALAS they are also "ghosted.

Can anyone walk me thru the entire sequence of files and registry values which SP2 uses to:
1. Bring up toolbars in taskbar
2. Check if valid and executable.

This is a normal DELL OPTIPLEX GX260, 256Meg, 2.66Mhz
system. I ask for help as we have 2 "EXACT MATCHING" machines.......my wife is blind and uses JAWS adaptive reading. Therefore, I want to track this bug as my
"100% match" is the test machine I use to 'debug' before we add/update/install anything on hers.

Thanks in advance. Gregg

A good check to see if it is malware or a corrupt third party program is to look at the situation from within Safe Mode.

This thread has some other ideas to try including the Taskbar fix from Kelly Theriot.

Taskbar problem: Tabs of current objects invisible
thread779-859906

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back