Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too Much Vertical Spacing between Cells 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

plantfinder

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
US
i'm building a vertical navigation table in a template. It looks fine when I view it in design view but when I preview it a browser (firefox or IE) it seems to add a paragraph return or something after my last word of text causing excessive spacing between the cells. There's no parapgraph return that I can find. I'm using a bulleted list.

Here's some of the code if it helps:

<td width="165" height="1019" valign="top"><table width="165" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" background="/images/vertgldgradient.jpg">
<tr>
<td width="157" class="navheading">welcome</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="navlink"><ul>
<li><a href="../index.htm">Home</a></li>
</ul></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="navheading">products</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="navlink"><ul>
<li><a href="../Racks.htm">Studio Guitar<br>
Case Rack </a></li>
</ul></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="navlink"><ul>
<li><a href="../guitarcases.htm">Guitar Cases </a></li>
</ul></td>

Thanks

Hi plantfinder,

Well, you're not using a bullet list are you. You're using a nested table, but for some unknown reason you've put some of the text into a list inside the td.

If you want to use a table, then remove the ul and li code. The css code for navlink probably should have a left padding 10 or 15px wider than navheading .

Otherwise, you remove all the table code and set up a div code with the background image and width, and then your list goes immediately inside this div. Then your css for the links controls the list-type etc.

Hope that makes sense.

also, there is no need to use the list unless you have to. I would look into direction of using more properties of the css involved. It sounds like you are using tables/cell to gain more space between the links but use the list because of its decor or wahtever...with the box and padding values u can work arround it.
As jillc said...list are to be treated a 'continous' single object and placed ither in a single cell or better yet layer.
All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back