Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too much RAM for Novell client and Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

rreimers

MIS
Dec 14, 1998
US
I've been trying to install a Windows 98 system with client 3.32 on a Dell with 1 gig of RAM. This was to be a dual-boot with XP (which works well) but I ran in to several problems. The first was too much RAM for Win98 - fixed that by putting an entry in system.ini under [386enh] MaxPhysPage=20000 that limits the RAM Win98 sees to 512 Meg, now Win98 seems to work fine. Next, and it is the show-stopper, I installed the Novell client 3.32, and rebooted. Got 2 messages about pseudo module NDS... and an error code - NIOS-202-66, found it in TID10066962. The TID says that Novell client is not able to load on machines with more than 512 Mb RAM due to limitation in HIMEM.SYS - MAJOR BUMMER! Anyone know of any work-around, or alternative to MS himem.sys that may work? No way to reduce RAM - this box (and others) need it for .Net developement on the XP side, but would also like to continue support for older Win98 projects.
Thanks - Randy

Anyone have a hint if this is possible? We may have to go with VMWare to be able to support the old apps, may be a better way to go anyway. Still curious - is there a work-around or some way to put the client for Win98 on a 1 Gig RAM box?

Thanks - Randy

The sad thing about this is, that Windows 98 has this RAM limitation. The NetWare Client doesn´t care for theamount of RAM.

Thanks to MS for artificial limits - such is life. We went with VMWare, that works much better than a dual-boot, allows them to keep working in the XP side, many other benefits.

One trick I recall is setting a large ram disk and permanent smartdrive cash. Basicly try and us up the excess ram before windows starts. Now that was with 756 meg ram not a gig it may not be possible to use up 512k worth.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back