Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too Much Information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephenlyn

Programmer
May 25, 2000
AU
I am developing (trying to develop) a database for information on students. Each student has about 150 data items. The normal student stuff eg name age address etc. Plus goals 1-5 with objectives 1-5 with strategies 1-5 so the multiplier effect makes it grow (is it out of control?). It has been alright until I tried to create reports. I want all the data on one report that runs over about 10 pages for each student. I am finding it very difficult. Should I keep going? has anyone else tryed something like this. Any ideas?

You should split the data into several tables: one for adress/phone/e-mail, another one for the goals/strategies or for academical years.
These tables have to be linked in the relationship window via the StudentID (formatted as autonumber with referential integrity).

Then it should be quite easy (and fast) to create specific reports for your purposes.

Thanks Francescina but I guess the critical point in my postinig was "I want all the data on one report that runs over about 10 pages for each student".
I have created about 20 tables. I have 1 main form that calls or has about 20 other forms. I tried to join the tables into a query however ther were too many data items.

Is the solution to have multiple reports? Is it possible to call the first report which then calls the next report that is related to it and so on?

What kind of query have you built? Do you mind describing it?

/Linus

I have never tried to call report C from report a, but I know of no reason it shouldn't work. It just is awkward. When I need to do similar operations, I just have a module which includes an array of 'report' names. Then just itterate through the list, opening the reports in the order they are in the list.
MichaelRed
redmsp@erols.com

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

This sounds as if it's getting overly complicated. Would you talk about the goals / objectives / strategies and how they're formatted? Are they the same (goals, at least) for each student. Are we talking multiple choice or essay type answers?

First off, Limpan. I added all 150 items to the query. It was really ugly and I couldn't create areport from it.

Secondly, Raskew. All goals are different, they could be one line. The Objectives & Strategies are a line or two or even three, however they tend to be more verbose than the Goals.

Some students have 2 or 3 goals 4 or 5 Objectives, with 3 or 4 strategies. They are all different.

Thanks for giving this some thought.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back