Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too Many Popups

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomR100

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
US
When I get into Internet Explorer and go to certain Websites I keep getting blasted popups from previous days.

I have set my options to keep 1 days of history and I delete all the files in my Temporary Internet folder. But even if I come back a week later I end up with the same popups I had problems with a week earlier.

Is there anything I can do? I am on Windows 98 and if there is anyone that could give me help that would be great.

Thank you in advance,
TomR100

Start by running through the fixes enumerated here: faq608-4650

That failing, post a Hijack log in forum760

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

Certain websites support popup ads, thus, you keep getting them over and over again when you navigate to that site. You could try a popup ad blocker program. Then you won't get any popup ads. You can download your choice of them for a free trial from download.com and see how they work for you. You could also try a program like ad aware and run that to remove adware/spyware from your computer system which also calls to popup ads so that they appear on your machine. They are not perfect for removing all adware/spyware but they help. I run an ad blocker program and never get any popup ads. It's great! But know that they can be disabled by spyware programs if you allow them to be installed on your PC.

I use a browser called "SlimBrowser". It has built in popup blocking. One problem with all popup blockers, it will sometimes block a site you want to see. Be sure to read the instructions on how to bypass the blocker to see these pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back